Tuesday, January 01, 2008

I see my partner in crime has decided to start the ‘New Year’ casting a few assumptions. I would just like to make it clear – crystal clear – that I do not, and never have had a ‘Brummie’ accent. I may at a push and if the wind is in the right direction admit to a very small Black Country accent, but that’s only when I’m talking very fast in the vain hope of getting a word in edgeways.

And she was right, she didn’t sound like I’d imagined her to be in my head – for a start she stops talking for a couple of seconds in there and lets me say something :P

I’d rung Scally earlier in the evening to wish her a Happy New Year and remind her that come what may and no matter how hard she tries, she can’t get rid of me. It doesn't hurt to reinforce this with the group of them every now and again, I think of it as my good deed for the day.


Actually I missed a golden opportunity there, she answered the phone with a ‘And what’d you want?’; very friendly sort of person is our Scally. What I should have said is ‘I’ll have another couple of stories, a glass of your cava and the rest of your chocolates. You see, there is a warning there – don’t drink, it slows down your reactions.

Afterwards, a friend that had come around to see the New Year in with us asked if that was the *cough* 'lady' that we’d visited in Spain; had I known her at school? (See even other people assume just by listening to the conversation, that we’ve known each other for an age). First and foremost I obviously put him right – Scally is older than me and then I said we’d met over the internet.

He was horrified, obviously the internet is a very dangerous place fully of kinky perverts – he didn’t know how close he was to the truth either :) I told him that I’d not met her in a chat room if that was what he’d been thinking – I’d joined a writing group (didn’t mention what sort of writing group - fluffed over that bit) and I’d met people that I now considered very good friends; in fact more like the siblings I’ve never had. I don’t think he could get his head around the fact that I think the world of a group of people that I’ve never spoken to on the phone, let alone met – other than Scally that is.

Texting Pooks later on, it all of a sudden seemed a really good idea to just ring her – that’s what three glasses of wine and a Bacardi do to me I’m afraid. The strangest thing in all of this is the fact that although I’d never actually spoken to her, like meeting Scally, it just seemed very natural and like we’d known each other for years. No awkwardness or silences – more the fact that we had to get as many words into the conversation as possible. I know that when I spent time with Scally I talked the poor woman nearly to death and Pooks was the same.

With regards to the Edinburgh festival, if we do manage to get together and pull that one off I have to agree with her, we won’t stop talking all the time we’re together. I think she’s being a little on the optimistic side if she thinks I’ll shut up when the curtain rises – I’ll no doubt have a hundred and one questions that I’ll need to ask at that point.

Well, wishing you all a very Happy & Healthy 2007 and if the Leprechaun gets her finger out and sends her first draft to the Scary One, we could be updating soon.

++++

Oh, one more thing…Ms Wag had mouse mats made for us as part of our Christmas pressies. She used one of my photo’s for mine, I was really pleased with it. Pooks? Well, we all know that she doesn’t ‘do’ photographs – she got one of a girl with an attitude, throwing a tantrum.

So that obviously makes me ‘the Good One’ then :).

7 comments:

pooks said...

1. You are Brummie - you sound like that bald headed Brummie comedian - can't remember his name and can't be annoyed to google it.
2. You do not, unless you're about to croak your last, talk in a theatre during the show - nor do you fistle with sweetie wrappers, leave your phone on, or on vibrate, or laugh and repeat the punch line to the person sitting beside you. If necessary I will bring Gaffer tape - oh, what do you think of that as a title for the new one - 101 uses for Gaffer Tape - too obscure?
3. Do not encourage me to be writing more Tom - I'm supposed to be doing the dissertation. *boring me to tears*
4. Can I help it if Scally sees you as a bee - one of those annoying things that you never tire of swatting?
5. you've already broken the Resolution about lying between your teeth - Good one? - I am not the Good One - I've never been Good - I'm not going to be Good - I'm not going to even try being Good - there is no point in trying to improve on perfection!

Px

Sue said...

1. I do NOT sound like Jasper Carrott. And just before it crosses your mind I don't sound like Ozzy Osbourne either. And they're male - I don't have a deep voice. I'm suprised you even noticed what my voice sounded like as you didn't even stop talking long enough to draw a breath.
2. If I can't have some sweeties I'm not going - if the show is no good what the hell do we throw at the actors?
3. I think as my Christmas present hasn't arrived yet at the very least you should finish the story for me.
4. You bee-careful that you don't end up getting stung - Miss Smarty Pants. She didn't see me as the bee, she thought I was the lovely English Rose.
5. I didn't make any resolutions; you made enough for everyone - which you have since started to systematically break. And we all known what you've prefected - throwing a tantrum!

pooks said...

Excuse me - just what resolution have I broken - I've been good as gold me.

I'm doing the ironing - that is not me trying to do anything other than write. No it isn't. I'm keeping the house clean, that's all. I am not procrastinating - we've nothing left clean and pressed.

Shall I send the smelling salts to those who know my true feelings on ironing?

Sue said...

Grief – so you really are scrapping the bottom of the barrel to get out of writing this dissertation then?

I’ll tell you what, how about you defrost that tray bake, finish the story and to hell with procrastination.

pooks said...

Wrong on so many levels -
1. I'm on a diet - Rocky Road tray bake many inches makes. Enough inches to my hips, thank you very much.
2. I must learn to prioritse my work - Tom, Andrew et al are not work - them's playtime.
3. I get soo bored ironing that I make up scenarios in my head about what is going to happen to point 2.
4. Harry and Sam are getting jealous - apparently Harry wants me to remember that he was my first;)

Sue said...

And what's wrong with playtime? I'm sure that Harry will get his say - he's a pushy little bugger after all and you were still writing at 4am this morning - he's got hours yet.

The tray bake wasn't meant for you either - it's what is known as a subtle hint for the poor sod who has to go to work tomorrow. ME!

pooks said...

AWWWWWWWW