Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Well there’s a day I don’t want to go through again. What happened? I hear you say. Well I don’t actually hear you say anything as you never bother emailing me but the voices in my head keep me company, so what the hell.

OK, OK, yes, Sommer, Liz and Kristy, you do email me :) So....

For a start off the server hates me and it’s taken me a whole morning of fiddling to find out why – I’d narrowed it down to the printer spooling (clever aren’t I?) or at least one of them. We just happen to have 3 printers connected to the server. The CPU was running at 100% and kept kicking the server until if threw a wobbly, fell over and had a tantrum on the floor.

You should try checking something when the computer is bloody determined to freeze after just two minutes of start up. I in turn ended up getting kicked by staff moaning that the network wasn’t working until I threw a wobbly, thought feck this for a game of soldiers and called someone out – which let’s be honest, I should have done 3 hours earlier if I’d had had any sense. Which anyone who reads the blog will know, isn't the case. I think it was around about then that my headache started.

Anyway, the nice man from the computer company came out and apparently it was my printer that playing up and sending messages to the server at a rate of 20 error messages a minute. Not that it was doing it for any particular reason – the messages actually told us sod all. I think it was just being annoying…well it is my printer after all; what do you expect?

We’ve also been having a new telephone system put in, hopefully it will be all up and running by tomorrow and the engineers can return home to Sheffield. They are actually a really nice couple of lads and they’ve worked very hard, they’ve a great sense of humour and have tried to cause the minimum amount of disruption. The down side to that being they wanted to stay past 5pm tonight and (this will surprise you), I was the only manager there to lock up. I don’t actually draw the short straw you know; but that’s only because there isn’t ever anyone to draw it with.

I got home just after six this evening with a pounding headache, which eventually eased off after I was sick. I then ran a bath, took some more tablets (yes I know you shouldn’t take tablets on an empty stomach but by that point I didn’t care) and then switched the light off and lay soaking in the darken bathroom. I feel much better now, just a slight niggle left.

I think half the problem was I didn’t get to eat my lunch till late, and then only half of it – I don’t recommend cold tomato soup - it’s not very nice after it’s congealed. I didn’t finish it after I’d warmed it up the first time as my presence was required in a meeting that no one had told me about and no, I couldn’t get out of it – it was very important. I think in the end I uttered all of two sentences whilst there and still ended up with a load of work to do.

Our internet connection was intermittent all day and I missed my daily email chat; I sort of read groups of emails during the day but didn’t actually get a chance to reply back again until late this afternoon. I worked hard all day for a change :)

Pooks has hopefully got the information she required off her boss and has handed in her dissertation – thank the Gods. She's hell when she’s got one on her and her students have been winding up one of her new teachers. The fools, talk about stand back and light the touch paper. I reckon it’s wasn’t just the new teacher that ended up in tears. I bet they won’t try that one again in the near future.



++++


Right, finally, something Scally found and shared. This has had both Himself & I in stitches. No, it’s not rude (yes, most unlike the Scary One, but just occasionally she surprises us). Our cat lies in wait for Himself when he tries to go to bed and is hell come 5.30 a.m. the following morning demanding attention.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMXCuW9LDps&feature=related

Although, she's not yet used a baseball bat - she finds a live rat works just as well.


No comments: