Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Well that’s the phone engineers waved goodbye to; we’re now running solo. Trying to get everyone into groups this morning for some training was like herding cats. In the end I shouted, which regardless to popular opinion doesn’t happen very often….at work :) The hurt expressions and the 'You only had to ask', didn't wash either.

At the moment we are still cutting people off, transferring to mobiles instead of extensions and apologising to everyone who rings up. I’m sure that given time the creases will iron themselves out, either that or everyone will stop trying to call us on the telephone.


We had to cancel our Christmas party today (yes, we always have our party in January); staff around here are dropping like flies from this Novovirus that's doing the rounds. Everyone in the one department is off and other departments are following suit - that's what working with groups of kids does for you.

I also got a call from youngest earlier, asking where the hot water bottle was as he had stomach ache and diarrhoea; he wasn't weeellllll. Isn't it funny, doesn't matter how old you are when you're ill you want your mum. Guess that never really changes, even when you're mum isn't around any more.

It was also pointed out to me today that the printer I killed yesterday was still under warranty - if you remember I only killed the last one a few months ago. PC World have been very good and just replaced it - it was a little too easy actually, usually companies don't want to know once they have your money. Um...wonder what else will go wrong to even up the balance?

++++

My Christmas present from Craig:





A USB fish tank with fish that I can’t kill. Well actually I can, but it’s a sort of
Tamagotchi, so at the press of a button they resurrect themselves. I brought it into work as I couldn’t get the cable to reach at home and I thought I’d at least use it here.

Ha!

The bloody things demand that I feed them, play with them and give them medicine if I’ve not met their previous demands in time and have made them ill. They also demand that I turn their light on and off. It’s worse than having an ill child.

It kept me entertained for all of 10 minutes then I pulled the plug out of the back. The noise of the motor alone operating their movement grated in the first couple of minutes.

I think it’s meant to be Marlon and Dory from Finding Nemo – and like them, very shortly, they both will be going over the edge.

++++

I’ve not heard from Pooks today, I’m not sure if it’s actually safe to contact her or whether handing that dissertation in yesterday afternoon was the last straw.

No comments: